Monday 19 September 2011

The Long and Short of it

It's a dilemma everyone faces but for some reason this summer I have had a particularly harder time deciding on what to do.  Am I confusing you?  I'm confused myself it seems.  What to do?  What to do??


It is the subject of hair I speak of and I just cannot decide for the life of me what to do with it.  Short or Long, Long or Short?  You see, I usually have this routine where for the last few years I have grown it long, I mean actually long and then I would cut it really short again.  Bob short.  I have no issue with having my hair in any of these lengths so that is not the problem.  I'm also capable of styling, setting and up-do's over all these lengths too.  So why the dilemma?

Maybe I have enjoyed having my long hair more so this summer.  One thing I have done differently is having it long and permed.  This I guess in some ways have made my life a lot easier in terms of having it down at the back and only styling it at the front and side sections.  I've put in all sorts of rolls - forwards, back, sideways, you name it.  Faux bangs with flowers, headscarf and they have all been very effective with very little effort I should say.

My current waist length hair with waves from la perm and staple faux bang.

You may think that it doesn't look much like I have curly hair what with my perm but my hair is superly blunt straight in its natural form.  So much so that people always thought I straightened it and wondered where I got the time to do so when I sometimes had to be at work for 6am.  This perm was from a year and a half ago when I went back to Hong Kong for a visit.  It was my second perm and my first was back in 2005/6 which was a major success.  I would urge anyone thinking of it to give it a whirl, especially if you like to set your hair at home.  It really helped to keep my set in and lasted much longer.  It was also great for styling rolls as my hair was just so straight I would have to always plan ahead and sleep in some rollers just for that.  I have let my hair get to it's length whilst keeping the perm.  Usually I would have given it the chop by now and most of the perm gone with it.

Perfect Cloche hair - Short and Set!

In colour glory!
I do love my hair in this. This was when I first had my hair dyed ginger and you can see it's deeper than the bright ginger in the photos below. This short set is fab but too much work for day to day so unfortunately it is not viable. 

Mid-Long with side fringe.


I have to say, out of all the styles, lengths and cuts I have ever had I miss my ginger locks the most.  The down side with all the bleaching and dyeing is that I have to keep it straight.  The perming and all the chemicals is just too much even with my super strong and thick hair it started to get dry and damaged :(  I have always wanted to go platinum blond 1920s style but again it would have to be left un-permed which is just no good at all.

Ginger Bob!

My Non-Straightened hair au natural-ish

More recently I have felt comfortable again with pulling my hair away from my face on both sides.  This is odd since I am not that confident a person.  I guess putting my hair in any particular style is all  part of the war paint which I wear day to day.  It helps to feel better about yourself on the inside if you look good on the outside too.  I know some people may view this as being superficial but this is fact and everyone feels this way at some point in their life.  If you looked as good as these lovely ladies below wouldn't you feel a whole lot better?  At least people will view you in that light even during those times when you are not feeling your best on the inside.

What lovely heads of hair!



The lady herself at the Hair Parlour!





The easiest thing to do would be to take five inches or so off and re-perm my hair.  An in-between length to keep down and enough hair for up dos.  What do you think?  How do you ladies decide what to do?  Do you change your style regularly too or stick to what you know works best for you?  xx

No comments: