Thursday 4 October 2012

The VP's Vintage Hair & Make-Up Academy

Hello lovely readers, hope you are all coping well with this drastic weather here in Blighty?  Or maybe you are reading this from sunnier climates?  I've been up to all sorts in the last couple of weeks which included attending the first class of Vintage Patisserie's new venture with Lipstick & Curls - The Vintage Hair & Make-Up Academy.



Now, you may be thinking it odd for me to attend such a class since I style not only my own but other ladies hair on a regular basis.  Well, my thoughts are you can never stop learning and you can never know enough.  Especially when the special invitation came from the most loveliest Angel herself to spend the day in great company, doing what I love most, whilst sipping champagne at their gorgeous head quarters.  Which of you lovely ladies can tell me you would turn that down?  I didn't think so!

I started the morning without styling my hair, just a simple headscarf as of course we will be doing that at the class.  As Vintage Patisserie is based in Hackney I didn't have far to go at all; 10 minutes on the bus.  Perfect for morning starts.  On arrival I bumped into Bettina Scarlet outside.  There was no mistaking with her current head of lilac.  Once inside we were greeted with warmth by Angel who showed us up to the academy where Amanda of L&C's was setting up.  It has been a while since I last saw both these talented ladies so we all had a little catch-up as more gorgeous attendees arrived.  One of these lovely ladies included Rosie of I'll Be Darned whom I coincidentally contacted a few days before inquiring about her services.  The vintage scene is a small world indeed.




We all settled down with our tea in china cup in hand and the class begun.  First lesson was pin curling with tongs.  Now I have actually only done this a few times before and never on myself.  I'm more of a sleep in your rollers kinda gal so this was very useful to me.  We paired up; myself with Rosie and we pinned each others hair.  I definitely learnt something new here with the tonging technique and when we did let the pin-curls out my set was surprisingly well held-in.



Whilst we waited for our pin-curls to set we watched some hair demonstrations from Amanda...




And then it was time for the all important brushing out on us ladies!



Luncheon was had whilst all this fun was going on.  It was like a lovely scene of a gathering of ladies all chattering and discussing hair and other such pretty things.  We went on to try the various styles Amanda demonstrated on our own sets as well as trying out styles we had always wanted to do with Amanda's professional guidance on hand.  Mine was the "Betty Grable" do which I always thought looked rather difficult; especially with as much hair as I have.  Tips and tricks were handed out which made everything seem so easy after all.



Rosie's do

Bettina's 

Some major back-combing was going on which turned into the smoothest of all up-dos.




After all this effort we took a little champagne break before Amanda kicked into the Make-Up masterclass.  Unfortunately I had to nip off early to go to work.  I already took a half day so couldn't very well be late too.

I have to say I had the most fabulous fun day in the company of lovely ladies and the best hosts in town.  I was happily surprised by how much tricks and tips I gained from the day.  I would highly recommend attending this class for those who are new to vintage styling to those who are already skilled in this area.  I most definitely went away with information I never had before.  You can find out more about the academy here where you can also book onto the course.  Go forth, take a look and most of all, go and spoil yourself for the day!



Of course whilst there I couldn't resist but have a sneak peek at Angels new book The Vintage Tea Party Year which is out now!  You can find me in there on page... Well, you will just have to pick it up and have a look for yourself ;)


Speaking of said book, next week is the book launch and I am yet undecided on what to wear?!  Much anticipation and excitement though as it surely will be the best party held by the most glamorous hostess of all!

I will be back posting with all the gossip and photographs plus did I mention I went along to this years London Tattoo Convention at the weekend?  Well, I have a new tattoo to show you all.  You will have to wait for that post!


Take care,
Alison xxx


No comments: