Tuesday 25 January 2011

The Art of Swan

I had some lovely plans with my friends on the Sunday gone which involved a visit to la cinema and a dinner in the evening.  I do love The Curzon Cinemas for their choice of showings, events and Q&As.  We had decided on The Kings Speech as I had already seen the wonderful Black Swan.  I have to say I was not at all disappointed!  It was captured beautifully, the main actors were fantastic, it was witty which was unexpected and heart warming in the right places.  Although my posts subject may not be directed at The Kings Speech, I would highly recommend it!

Stepping back to the Saturday...  Upon purchasing our cinema tickets online I noticed a piece of artwork on the site displaying the cover of their current issue of the Curzon Magazine.  It was a cover dedicated to Black Swan and it had really caught my eye.  I made sure I would pick up a copy on my visit on Sunday.  I was even more curious to find out where this work of art had originated from.  It was work that I had not encountered in London used to promote Black Swan.


Back on the Curzon site I went.  It would seem the Curzon Soho are currently holding an exclusive exhibition with behind the scenes photography and art work inspired by Black Swan for the month of January.  Now this I must pop along to tomorrow before it finishes.  There was also a competition - Become the Black Swan.  Sadly you will have missed it if you are reading this as the winner is being announced today.  What fun it would have been!

Some more digging reveals... La Boca the design agency based in Portobello, London are behind this splendid artwork!  And to my delight the work that originally caught my eye is in fact one of a set of four designs.  All of which are as captivating as the next I hope you will agree.


They really speak to me and ignite the feeling and atmosphere I felt when I was watching the film.  The use of red, black and cream evokes the darkness of Nina becoming the black swan but also the delicate and fragile state of ones mind.  They have a very Art Deco feel which I enjoy so much.  I am hoping to pick up a postcard on my visit to the exhibition.  If all else fails, I have the option to purchase some non-postcard merchandise on the official site of Black Swan.  I do fancy the black tote if anyone is asking :p

Here is to hoping all film posters are as inspiring as this!
Alison x

No comments: